Thursday, May 13, 2010

Apple Barbecue Seitan

I've always loved barbecue sauce. When I was younger, I tried to make it myself but all I could taste was the vinegar and molasses and I stuck to the stuff in a bottle for years. But nowadays anything in a bottle is likely to have HFCS, fat or animal products and I've become a real glutton for making everything from scratch. So it is that I present to you: "Claire's Apple Barbecue Sauce"! It's really yummy.

This recipe made (I'm guessing) over 2 cups of sauce, it's hard to tell because I kept licking the spoon.

Ingredients:
  1. 2 apples
  2. 2 tbsp. soy margarine
  3. 1/3 cup brown sugar
  4. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  5. 1 cup ketchup
  6. 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes from a can
  7. 1/4 cup mirin rice vinegar
  8. 1/2 cup molasses
  9. 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  10. 1/4 tsp. celery salt
  11. 1 tsp. chili powder
  12. 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Make it happen:

Step One: This should smell delicious. Peel, core and dice one apple. What kind of apple? I leave that to you, I used what was around, I think they were gala. Over medium-high heat melt the butter and when it sizzles softly, toss in the diced apple. Saute until the apple begins to soften and add the brown sugar. Stir constantly until the apple is soft and add the cinnamon. This should smell delicious!

Step Two: Saucy. Add the ketchup, crushed tomatoes and mix them in with the apple mixture. One-at-a-time, add the remaining ingredients (Except the second apple! Save that for later.), stirring after each addition. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes, the longer it simmers the thicker and richer the sauce will be. I opted out of the cayenne, but if you want a kick add that, some hot sauce — or both!
To make this a meal, I added about a pound of sliced seitan and 2 cups of frozen 3 pepper & onion blend and let that simmer for another 15 minutes all together. Core and slice the second apple and toss it into the sauce but don't let it cook very much. The idea is to have the soft, sweet apple chunks we added at the beginning and the crisp, crunchy slices we add at the end. I served this with cornbread and broccoli.

Cornbread Ingredients:
  1. 1/4 cup melted soy margarine
  2. 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
  3. 4 tbsp. agave
  4. 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
  5. 1 1/2 tsp. egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp. water
  6. 1 cup cornmeal
  7. 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  8. 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  9. 1 tsp. salt
Cornbread Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Mix the ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour the cornbread mix into a greased 8x8 baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

For the broccoli: I simply cut it into bite-sized florets. Then in a skillet over medium-high heat, I melted 1 tsp. of margarine with 2 tbsp. vegetable broth, placed the broccoli in the pan with the lid on and let it steam for a few minutes (I like it crunchy). Then I sprinkled some sesame seeds on top.

And voila!

And here's the puppy on a dock behind my uncle's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment